This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that WriteLife does not own or control, or to people that WriteLife does not employ or manage.
Information collection and use
• WriteLife may collect personal information when you register, when you use WriteLife services and when you visit WriteLife pages or the pages related to the content contained within WriteLife. WriteLife may combine information about you that we have with information we obtain from business partners or other companies in order to provide services you have requested from WriteLife. We do not purchase any personal data from other companies.
• WriteLife collects information about your transactions with us and your use of the services that we offer.
• WriteLife automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, browser settings, and pages requested. WriteLife also requires a cookie, used only to keep track of your login status.
• WriteLife uses information for the following general purposes:
o To fulfill your requests for products and services;
o To improve our services;
o To contact you, conduct research, and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients;
o To provide publisher correspondence to purchasers. Purchasers may opt out at any time.
• In order to publish or purchase content on WriteLife.com, you will need to create an account. When you register for an account, we will ask for your first and last name, email address, country, and language preference. We will also ask you to create a username which will be visible if you post in the forums. Once you register and sign in to WriteLife, you are not anonymous to us.
• At the registration stage, you also have the opportunity to opt-in to news and updates from WriteLife. If you choose to opt-in, we may send you email communications such as newsletters and invitations to WriteLife events.
• Whether or not you opt-in to news and updates from WriteLife, there are still certain (very rare) types of email communications you will receive from WriteLife. These communications include site-critical announcements, changes to our Member Agreement, and any other communication it is necessary for all of our members to receive.
• When you place an order on our site, we will ask for the name, shipping address, and phone number where you would like to receive your package. This information is used for the purpose of shipping your order. We will have to share your name and address with our shipping partners in order to complete the shipment, but our shipping partners are not permitted to use your information for any other purpose.
• At the next step of the ordering process, we will ask for your payment information and billing address. If you do not elect to pay with PayPal, we will ask for your credit card number, card security code, and expiration date. This information is processed through a third party processor for the purpose of completing your transaction, and is encrypted through secure socket layer (SSL) technology.
• In order to receive royalty and creator revenue payments from WriteLife, you will have to provide remission information. We will ask for the name, address, and phone number where you would like to receive your payment. If you request payment by PayPal, we will ask for your PayPal username in order to process your payment.
• Your earnings as a WriteLife creator are subject to US tax laws. Therefore, in order to receive payment, you will have to complete the Taxpayer Information section. We ask for your SSN, TIN, or EIN for the sole purpose of issuing a 1099 form for your earnings.
• If you are not a US taxpayer, you can check the box beside “Not a US Taxpayer,” and you will not have to enter an SSN, TIN, or EIN. However, if you obtain a WriteLife ISBN, any books that you sell to destinations within the US will be subject to withholding.
• When you sign up for the newsletter, you are taken to a subscription form for the WriteLife newsletter. You may opt out at any time.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
WriteLife does not share personal information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies. We only share your personal information with third parties in the following circumstances:
• Agents: We provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with WriteLife under confidentiality agreements. These companies may only use your data as directed by WriteLife, which includes using your personal information to help WriteLife communicate with you, printing and shipping your books, discs, and other products, and completing financial transactions. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information, nor do they have any right to contact you for matters not pertaining to WriteLife.
• Service Providers: WriteLife does not share your information with other third parties;
• We may disclose your personal information in response to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims, or as otherwise required by law;
• If, as a registered user, you consent to permit WriteLife to display the publisher name and e-mail address you provide on all correspondence to purchasers of your content.
If you use our E-mail a Friend option to refer someone to a content page on our site, we will collect your friend’s name and email address. This information is used only to email your friend the page you requested, and is not stored or used for any other purpose.
A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user’s computer for record-keeping purposes. WriteLife will set and access WriteLife cookies on your computer. The information stored by our cookies is linked only to your email and password. We do not link other personally identifiable information you provide to cookies. We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. WriteLife uses session ID cookies to ensure that you are recognized when you move from page to page within WriteLife. These cookies are deleted when you close your browser. We use persistent cookies to identify your time zone, language preference, and/or country, as well as to allow you to use the WriteLife forums. You can manually delete cookies at any time by following the directions given in your Internet browser’s Help file. If you reject cookies, you will be able to browse the site, but you will not be able to purchase or publish any WriteLife content or participate in the forums.
Your Ability to Edit and Delete Your Account Information and Preferences
• You can edit your account information at any time. You can remove your credit card information by clicking the corresponding link in the Account section.
• Certain communications from WriteLife, such as critical service announcements and administrative messages, are considered part of WriteLife membership and you may not opt out of receiving them. You may opt out of receiving the WriteLife newsletter, event invitations, and other non-critical WriteLife communications. You can change the email address, password, language, country, and currency associated with your account.
• You may delete your WriteLife account by clicking the “Cancel my account” link.
• If you have published material to WriteLife as a creator, that material may remain in some form on the site even after you retire it from public view, particularly if you have granted permission for it to be used as part of a collaborative project that exists elsewhere on the site, or otherwise pursuant to the Terms and Conditions and License Agreement you will have entered into.
• You may also correct, update, delete, or deactivate personal information by contacting us at info@WriteLife.com, or at the mailing address listed below.
• If you use the WriteLife forums or the WriteLife Community Chat Room, you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums. Our forum posting policies can be viewed here. (link to etiquette & policies)
Confidentiality and Security
• We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
• We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to protect personal information about you.
• Your WriteLife Account Information is password-protected. You are responsible for not sharing your password.
• In certain areas WriteLife uses industry-standard SSL encryption to protect data transmissions related to commerce.
WriteLife may update this policy. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your WriteLife account or by placing a prominent notice on our site.
Questions and Suggestions
If you have questions or suggestions, contact us at:
7914 W. Dodge Rd.
Omaha, NE 68114
Last updated: 2008-08-14